Monday, November 12, 2012

Cultural Art Show



I wander about the hall, the sale
mercifully small with just five Takumi
Any more would be less I realize
this morning after remembrance

I navigate the narrow channel of buyers 
anchor on Bill Toyota's water colours
Acrylics line the wall behind
folded fabric geisha, kanji on parchment 

practical rice bowls, whimsical fused glass, 
jewelry, fired clay fish, glazed eyes
Each piece signed with artist's seal
excess stock spilling off collapsible tables

like words from the sculptor's mouth
too long alone in the studio 
to realize flooding those who migrate past
makes choice impossible 

So I leave with my only trophy 
a small blue green watercolour
where pastel and shadow merge 
humpback breeching east coast waters

I breech the cool outdoors 
into late afternoon shadow
with the best from my friend's father
to honour them both